SNOWBOARDING ASPEN MOUNTAIN (AJAX)
Season dates: November 24, 2011 - April 15, 2012
Base elevation: 7,945 ft./2,422 m
Summit elevation: 11,212 ft./3,418 m
Vertical rise: 3,267 ft./996 m
Terrain: 675 acres/273 hectares
Number of trails: 76
Miles/km of trails: 64 miles/103 km
Rising out of the heart of downtown Aspen, Aspen Mountain (Ajax) serves up a vertical smorgasbord of double-black and gladed runs for alpine enthusiasts. Opened in 1947, Aspen Mountain's steeps, bumps and incredible views have been famous in the skiing world for decades.
April 1st 2001, to the delight of many and the silence of a few, Aspen Mountain opened to snowboarding, families and friends could now all enjoy the famous slopes together.
Our snowboard shop is blocks from the gondola, we are in a great location for you to rent your board and jump on to Aspen Mountain!
Reasons to Snowboard Aspen Mountain;
- Powder days- utilize the 14 minute Gondola ride to the top to get maximum vertical and untouched powder, but get there early the powder doesn’t stay all day long, unless you find a friendly local.
- Steeps- 50% of this mountain is difficult the other half is expert, if you like to spend more time in the air than on the snow you’ll find plenty of opportunity here. Check out Bell Mountain, Walsh’s, the dumps, Trainors and Gentlemen’s Ridge; be prepared for VW size bumps.
- Speed- if you like to push it to the edge this is the place, but choose your time and run carefully as it can get congested late morning.
- Location – What happens in Aspen stays in Aspen, after a night or partying with your old friends and new friends you can literally fall out of your bed onto the Aspen Gondola.
- People Watching-this is Aspen , just riding the Gondola or sitting at the Sundeck Restaurant can be as entertaining as a few cruiser runs, with some of the world’s most attractive and interesting skiers/snowboarders hitting the slopes.
Aspen Snowmass Official Site